Booking Your Wedding

The Church requires a minimum of Three Months’ Notice, i.e., to the Parish where you intend to marry and to the Parish where you live, if they are different.

The State also requires three months’ notice, to be given to the Registrar of Marriages.

Marriage Preparation

Formal marriage preparation is a requirement in the Dublin Diocese.

You therefore need to make your plans well in advance.

Couples intending to marry need to do a recognised Pre-Marriage Course. They need to book it 6 – 9 months before their wedding day.

The preferred choice of the Catholic Church is Marriage Preparation Courses under the aegis of ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service.

Their website is


Before a marriage takes place, it must be established that nothing stands in the way of its valid and lawful celebration.

Each party to the wedding must complete the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form. Normally it is the priest in the Parish where you live who will complete this form with you. He will need to meet with you about two months before the date of your wedding. In order to fill out the Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form you will need the following:

  • A new Baptism Certificate
  • A Confirmation Certificate
  • A Letter of Freedom from anywhere you have lived for six months or more since reaching the age of 18 years. Sometimes a Sworn Affidavit may be required to establish freedom to marry.
  • A Certificate from the Pre-Marriage Course.
  • Depending on your circumstances, other documentation may be necessary.

Please contact the parish office if you have any further queries.

Leave a Reply